- Provide Expert Tutors with teaching and industry experience
- Your Child works 1 on 1 or in a small group with the same tutor each week
- Classes are customised to your child – No robot teaching groups
At BrainFOOD Education we are a group of teachers and industry professionals and, more importantly, we’re parents of school age children. We believe every child has the ability to excel at school, the challenge is a one size fits all school system doesn’t necessarily suit every learning style. At our inner west Tutoring Centre, we offer a range of class structures, teaching methods and tutor and teacher personalities so that we can customise every learning experience to get the right mix for your child. You definitely won’t find a large group class or students in front of computers.
We are firm believers in the power of small group tutoring (1-2 students) or one-on-one tutoring sessions that are highly tailored to individual needs, and while we do have computers available we always recommend pencil and paper when working in class.
What makes us different?
- Help build self-confidence and a positive attitude
- Teach organisation & preparation skills for life beyond HSC
- Focus on enjoying learning, not just memorising answers
Meet Our Tutors
- Expert Tutors who not only know their subjects but love teaching them.
- English Tutors studying English Literature, Science Tutors studying to be doctors, Maths Tutors studying advanced mathematics, Legal Studies Tutors studying to be lawyers… The list goes on.
- All have achieved 90+ ATAR’s and have gone on to study or work in their chosen fields.
- Incredible personalities and great knowledge in their chosen subjects.
- No Robot tutors teaching content by rote, our students walk away with real knowledge, not memorised answers.
- All tutors are committed to helping your child love learning not just survive school.
Success in life, Not just School
The lessons we learn at school have long term effects. Organisation, critical thinking, creative flair, time management and the discipline to finish what we start, are key to success in tertiary study and a future career. By teaching these concepts at an early age, along with memory techniques and tools to manage stress and anxiety, we are setting our children up to achieve the best they can. School is not the end of learning, and if we get the foundations right for our students we can bring back the love of learning, and inspire our next generation of leaders.
Our Inner West Tutoring and Education Centre
Subject Guides, Curriculum outlines, practice exams, workbooks, individual student whiteboards (A3 Size), pens, pencils, calculators etc. We have everything here to ensure your child simply needs to turn up to tutoring (we do encourage bringing assignments and exams if and when the need arises). Also it is important to note, we do not charge resource fees. The above are all part of the service we provide.
Multiple Classrooms & Large Open Spaces
Our Classrooms were built to comfortably accommodate small to medium sized class groups in mind (2-4 students). When we do receive requests from study groups to use our premises we use our large open apce which will comfortably seat 20+ students with laptops etc. This area is also used as communal space for students just wanting to do homework while waiting for classes to start, or waiting to be picked up. We also invite parents to use this space (coffee and tea available) while waiting for their childrens class to end. Parent’s may also be roped in to reading a book to their other children while waiting, we see this happening a lot (we have a large collection of childrens books available for this exact event).
Running Late for Pickup?
Give us a call (02) 8789 2123 and let us know. We will always stay back to ensure your child isn’t waiting on the street for you to arrive. Your child is always welcome to wait upstairs in our communal areas and management will always be present to ensure a safe pickup.
Early For Class?
Not a problem. Our offices are always staffed at least one hour prior to classes commencing for the day, your child is more than welcome to come upstairs and wait in our large open space and do homework, have a snack, relax or browse the internet etc. Buses sometimes run early (rarely!) but your child is always welcome. We won’t ask them to wait outside or in the stairwell. Please come in and make yourself at home.
Our custom-built inner west tutoring centre in Five Dock is centrally located to provide tutoring and education services for students across the Inner West of Sydney. Located above Alfred Imaging on Great North Road, we have a safe pickup and drop off point and side street access (Rodd Road) for our students and ease of parking.
Our offices are always staffed by both tutors and an older management team. Each staff member and tutor has a current working with children check. We provide a safe work and study environment for everyone involved with BrainFOOD Education.
While generally not used in class, each classroom has a computer, ranging from touchscreen windows 10 Pcs to large Apple Imac’s and the odd Linux desktop PC for the advanced computer studies users. All computers and tablets have access to google docs and can be used by students to retrieve homework assignments and exams and print out what is required for lessons and assignments.
Eating on Premises
A lot of our classes run at 3:30, 4:30 and 5:30 time slots, these are optimal hungry times for students. So yes we are perfectly fine with snacks and meals being brought in as long as they are eaten in the kitchen or open area and the leftovers (if any) are put in one of the 14 rubbish bins (yes, 14 really!) on premises. Hungry kids don’t learn, we would rather your child have a snack instead of spending a whole tutoring lesson thinking about food. Mum & Dad, for you we also have coffee and tea so please feel free to help yourselves.
Security and Bathrooms
It may sound trivial but yes we have multiple bathrooms. Security is a big concern of ours (we’re parents too) so when designing our premises we made sure the entrance to the bathrooms are in sight of our staffed areas. Managers are trained to keep an eye on all student and staff traffic so we know where our staff and students are at all times. If you have a younger child a manager will always walk your child down to street level for pick up unless advised otherwise.
Remote Learning Help
Many families have recently reached out for help with Remote Learning.
Lockdown is over, but many family’s circumstances have changed, so we are still able to provide remote learning if needed.
Its apparent this new lockdown isn’t going away anytime soon, and we parents are all struggling with helping our children with daily school tasks. Whether it is because of time constraints, working from home, multiple children at home (we have 3!) or just simply not having looked at maths for 20+ years, we are all in the same boat. How do we make sure our kids aren’t falling behind?
On top of our regular tutoring sessions, we are now also running shorter, more frequent classes on Zoom during school hours to help complete schoolwork and review any new Math’s & English concepts being taught while in lockdown.
We have found either a 1 x 60-minute session per week, or 2 x 30-minute sessions per week seem to work best. As an added bonus as parents, it means we can take a short break to focus on some of our own time sensitive tasks.
A few more details
- No Extra Homework will be given (let’s be honest, learning at home is tough enough for children & parents alike!)
- This is purely to assist in completing tasks assigned by school, or revising and explaining any tough content they aren’t fully understanding in the Remote Learning Environment.
- Classes must be booked in either 1 x 1hr or 2 x 30 minute blocks.
- We currently provide personalised 1 on 1 tutoring Australia-Wide from Perth to Sydney and everywhere in between.
- We have an incredible lineup of tutors, who are also in lockdown, so they have great availability to fit in to your daily schedule.
- Unfortunately we are unable to offer a free trial for “online only” classes, but you can simply opt for a no-obligation 30 minute paid trial
If you would like to discuss Remote Learning Help with us please don’t hesitate to contact us or give us a call on +02 8789 2123